A good schedule is as important in your life as good food and water. If you don't use your time wisely, than you'll be missing out on opportunities in this life that you would have otherwise experienced.
Recently, I sat down with the kids, mainly Hannah since Gabe is still in Core Phase, and we figured out a daily plan to help her accomplish the things she's striving for in her education. We had already done a 6 month plan a while back, so her goals had already been set and she was already working on them. By helping her make a "plan" or schedule, it will help her stay on task. Hannah was really excited about what we came up with.
Now, just because I have helped her schedule her "time", does not in any way mean I have made her schedule her "content". She is in charge of her education and I am mentoring her every step of the way. I offer suggestions and give logical explanation for my opinion then I leave it up to her to make the choice. You'd be amazed how when a youth is given the ability to chose for herself, how inspired she can become. The choices are hers. She has to claim ownership for them. She feels a higher sense of commitment to them and feels a deeper sense of regret when she has let something slide. It's such a wonderful concept...."Teach them correct principles then let them govern themselves".
Here's what Hannah came up with for her first day of "planned" learning...
10am~ Math (we use ALEKS, which I feel is a WONDERFUL system. We were using it prior to finding TJEd and I was thrilled to see that they suggested it as well).
10:30am~ Family Reading Time (This was already planned on my schedule so she marked her schedule to coincide)
11:00am~ Hannah & Mom Time (this is where I specifically help her in areas she'd like help with or if there's a certain area I'd like to instruct her on)
11:30am~ "Wednesday Writers" (we set aside an amount of time each Wednesday to actually write letters or cards to others) & Journaling
12:00 Lunch
1:00pm~ "Learner Time" (this is when she has free time to study however she'd like. It could include reading, using items from our "Learners Closet", or even watching a video on a certain subject).
2:00pm~ Read Classic: Anne of Green Gables
3:00pm~Faith in God (which is a program designed for young girls Hannah's age that our church has in place)
3:30pm~Dictation
Each day of the week she covers different subjects that will help her attain her "Six Month Goals". So, on Friday, her schedule will be different than this example. Also, we sit down every morning for a quick "Planning Meeting" and this is when I get to tell her the things I need to get done, like "family reading time" or "Arts & Crafts" etc, and she gets to tell me the items she'd like to accomplish. By the end of the Planning Meeting, we already have a map of how our day will happen. Sometimes things pop up that aren't on the schedule, which happens a lot with baby twins, but I explain to her that it's just a guide and that we strive to fulfill it but some days we won't.
My schedule for that same day was as follows...
10am~ "Gabe Time" (this is when I work with Gabe on certain topics that he's learning, such as the alphabet, numbers, letters, sight words, etc)
10:30am~ Reading Time (we initially had only a half hour allotted for reading but we quickly moved it to a full hour)
11:00am~ "Hannah Time"
11:30am~ "Wednesday Writers" & Journals
12:00~ Lunch
1:00pm~ Individual Chore (I have five chores that I have specifically schedule on a certain day during the week)
2:00pm~ Classic Reading-Pride and Prejudice
3:00pm~ Spanish B.O.M. (I have begun reading a book of scriptures in Spanish, with my trusty dictionary and the English version for reference. I've REALLY enjoyed doing this thus far. I haven't gotten far AT ALL but even if I get through one paragraph, it's so worth it!!)
I have found that since we have items that we'd like to accomplish daily, weekly and every six months, and that we have them scheduled, it has helped us ensure that we are heading in toward our goals without losing any of the precious "minutes" that the Lord has allotted us!
Celeste <3
No comments:
Post a Comment