Thursday, August 25, 2011

Why TJEd?

When I first started homeschooling, I used several different curriculum, trying to find which would work best for our family. After a few months, I knew I still wasn't where I was suppose to be. I could tell that the Lord was trying to lead me in a different direction but I just didn't know which way to move. I began wondering if I was suppose to put the kids back into public school. I prayed concerning that decision and it came back as a definite "no". So, I went back to searching and pondering and praying for direction.

Then one morning, I noticed a friend of mine, from where I had used to live, had commented on Facebook. She usually doesn't comment much so it surprised me. As I read her comment, it just hit me..."She homeschools her little girls!"  I made a promise to myself that I would send her a message as soon as I fed my baby twinners their breakfast and ask her what was working for her and if she had any suggestions.

It was probably about 10 minutes later (maybe less), when I glanced over my shoulder and saw that someone had sent me a message on Facebook. I clicked on it to see who it was. And I kid you not...it was that same friend. I was in awe because we had never send messages to each other before.

I proceeded to open her message and literally about fell off my chair as I read her words. She explained to me that she had just got back from a Homeschool conference and that while she was there, she kept feeling that the things she was learning, she needed to share with me. So, that was what she did. She simply told me the situation she had experienced and then told me what she felt I needed to share, then ended it with the "if you need this, great, if not, just ignore it" kind of thing.

It would be a total lie to say that I didn't feel the Spirit strongly as I read her words. I knew that the Lord had inspired her to tell me about TJEd. He used her to answer my prayers and I'm so so grateful.

In the beginning, I had done some basic research into TJEd, but hadn't read the books myself. I had read what others thought of the books and how they instituted it and I could see some value in what they were doing but I still didn't "get it". I didn't fully understand what TJEd was about. I like telling people who ask about TJEd that just listening to me talk about the books, would be like me telling you about my favorite movie (that you haven't seen personally)...you just won't fully understand; it just wouldn't be complete knowledge.

Needless to say, I went out that day and purchased three TJEd books. I began reading them and instantly found the peace I had been looking for. The Lord had guided my path and had inspired a friend to be His hands, if you will, to answer my prayers.

It was a wonderful experience that strengthened my testimony of not only TJEd but also the love my Savior has for my children. He knows what my children's missions are in this life and He knows that they'll need A Thomas Jefferson Education to achieve them.

Celeste <3

No comments: