Many people have asked me why I decided to homeschool my children instead of having them continue going to public school.
To tell you the truth, from the first moment I thought about my oldest child being old enough for Pre-school, my heart had been set on keeping her in the home with me. I taught her from home through the preschool years and I loved every bit of it!
Then it came time to start kindergarten. For some reason I struggled with what to do. I knew inside I wanted to keep teaching my daughter at home but there was definitely a lot of people around me concerned about my daughters "social life". I had a feeling that the supposed "must have" social life of my 5yr old wasn't as important as those around me made it out to be. But I still found it hard to stick to my beliefs, mainly because the world around me supported their views instead of mine. I ended up giving in to the peer pressure and enrolling her into the public school system. Sadly, I lacked confidence in myself & my feelings on the subject.
Every year, just as I prepared to send my daughter back to public school, I got that same gut feeling that she should be homeschooled. And every year there was something or somebody the convinced me otherwise. Then FINALLY, when my daughter was in the 4th grade, the feeling within me got so strong that I couldn't ignore it any longer. It was like the Lord was smacking me upside the head and saying..."LISTEN TO ME!!! I know what's best for your daughter!!" That's when I followed through and gladly checked her out of the public school system.
Every time I tell this story, I have others wondering why the Lord would insist on my kids not being in public school when He's not insisting their kids be removed as well. I don't have an answer for that. All know is that the Spirit's message to me was undeniable and I had to follow it.
As soon as I walked my little girl out of that school, it was like a ton of bricks had been removed from my sholders. I knew I had made the right choice. I knew, for some reason, my daughter was suppose to be home with me. Since then I have gained a clearer understanding on that subject, which I will share at a later date.
So, there I was, on my way to homeschooling my children, just as the Lord guided, and then the "insecurity" set in. The doubt. The fear. The lack of confidence in my ability to teach my children.
The adversary knew what would make me question my decision, just like he had so many times before, but this time I turned to the Lord for the strength and understanding I needed. The moment I gained the knowledge I needed...the knowledge that I was even more qualified to teach my children than the school teachers...I stopped listening to Satan's lies and began having faith in the plan the Lord had provided.
I know my children better than anyone. I know what they like and don't like, what their weaknesses and strengths are. I know when they're having an off day and when they're having their best days. I know when I can push them a bit and when I need to back off. I know that the "mother" has been commanded to teach their children in all areas of their lives. Once I not only knew that priceless information but also believed it, I knew the homeschooling process would be a wonderful thing for our family. I also knew that with God...ALL things are possible!
This situation brings two of my favorite scriptures to mind, which are...
1 Nephi 3:7
7 ... I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.
Moses 5:6
6 .... I know not, save the Lord commanded me.
Knowledge is Freedom!
Celeste <3
No comments:
Post a Comment