Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Thirteen Colonies Craft

Since we are studying the United States, I decided to also focus on The Thirteen Original Colonies.

I found a really fun and useful craft for the kids that's centered around The Thirteen Colonies.  It also focuses on the Postal Abbreviations, which is another area we are currently focusing on. Hannah really has a love for history and is really enjoying learning about our wonderful nation!

As you can see, each circle represents one of the 13 Colonies. When we make it through the first 13 states, I'll move onto other states that followed. Those circles will be alternating, red & white, which will symbolize the stripes on the flag.

On the back of each circle, the kids can write some facts about the state they learned about. By the end, Hannah will have a wonderful set of flashcards to help her remember the facts about each state. Gabe likes to just draw pictures of what he learned, which is wonderful. Sometimes he's present for the "Let's learn about a state" time and sometimes he chooses to go play. He was there for Delaware, as you can see, but decided to go play airplanes for Pennsylvania.  I always ask him if he'd like to join us and usually he does but there are times when the imaginary roar of an airplane is just too tempting!!  :)



<3