Friday, September 2, 2011

Roses & Potatoes

My kids love to do art projects. I decided that every Tuesday we would complete an "Arts & Crafts" project. I've done some searching on the Internet and in some children's magazines and found some wonderful ideas!
While we were learning about our National Anthem and the symbolism of our flag, we also learned about our National Bird, the Bald Eagle, and our National Emblem, the Rose. After learning about the rose, the kids had a chance to make tissue paper roses. It was lots of fun and when Daddy got home, he had a beautiful bouquet waiting for him on his desk!  :)

Hannah's rose


Another project we had fun with was "Potato Painting" shirts. The kids got to be creative artists by using potatoes. I cut different shapes in raw potatoes then they used them as stamps to apply paint to their shirts. Hannah was a very dedicated artist (Love of Learner) while Gabe (Core Phase) applied a couple of "tornadoes" (go figure), out of the triangle shaped potato, and debris, out of the square potato, then began playing with his airplanes again. I ended up adding Gabe's name to the bottom of his shirt because he asked me to.  If I were to do this over again, I would have definitely purchased a shirt for myself so I could have taken part in the creative process!

My kids showing off their new creations!

Kids love to access their creative side, and fun projects that they can wear, are a wonderful way to have them gain pride in their work.

Helpful Links:

<3


No comments: