During my Six Month Planning Session, I found a strong pull to focus my attention on the USA. I decided to do several different things...
- Focus on the geography of our Nation. Help the children learn where each of the states are located in the US and what their capitals are. I already had a wonderful floor puzzle of the USA by Melissa & Doug, which the kids really enjoy, so I knew it would be one of my focus tools. I also invested in a terrific book by National Geographic, entitled "Our Fifty States". It's over 230 pages of facts and pictures of each state. I got a great deal on a brand new hardbound copy for only $18 including shipping from Barnes & Noble. I chose to purchase the book, instead of borrowing something from the library, because I knew I'd continue to use it as each of my children move into the "Love of Learning" stage. I also invested in a board game entitled "Which Way USA?". It will be a fun way to learn facts about each of our wonderful United States!



- Focus on the founding of our Nation. I know that the Lord is the original founder of our Nation and as I teach my children how our Nation came to be, I will ensure to focus on God's hand in the process. I will encourage the kids to learn many patriotic songs that gladly acknowledge the Lord's hand in the birth and preservation of our country. We began with the National Anthem, The Star Spangled Banner, and will continue through many other inspiring and wonderful songs. Since we began with our National Anthem, I purchased a book on Francis Scott Key (Childhood of Famous Americans), which I will be reading to my children. If we are to understand what our wonderful Nation stands for, we must understand those who created it!

- Focus on the Presidents of the United States. I have purchased a floor puzzle about all the Presidents of the United States. I also invested in flashcards and dry erase tools that will help with their memorization. I am also planning on purchasing a book that will give details of each president, both personal and political, to read to my kids. I have not yet found the right one but I will let you know when I do! :)

Floor puzzle by Melissa & Doug
As one of my motivational tools, I created a poster board sized United States Flag. I had the kids help color in the red stripes, as I read to them concerning the meaning of the symbols on the flag. I'm hanging the flag up and after learning about a state, the kids will be able to put a star on the flag with that state's postal abbreviation on it (we're learning those as well)! The kids are really excited about being able to build the flag and I'm hopeful they will always remember that each star represents one of our wonderful states!
Here's my little guy coloring the Red stripes that represent the blood of those who have died
or will die defending our beloved country!
Here's an example of what it will look like with some stars on the flag.
The kids really liked the puffy, glittery stars.
It's so important, as a mentor to your children, to share your passions with them and my love for God and Country is most important. I hope they cannot only see the love I have for our Nation but can also feel the overwhelming gratitude I have for those who made it possible!
<3
No comments:
Post a Comment