Friday, September 2, 2011

Our Symbols

After teaching my kids that the flag was the symbol for our nation and what it symbolized, we talked about what our symbols would look like if we each had one. Then Hannah and I sat down (Gabe by this point has tuned out and was playing airplanes...like always) and created a drawing of what our symbol would look like. Then we both took turns trying to guess what the other's symbol represented. I was amazed at some of Hannah's choices of symbols. I figured out all but the boat. But I was more amazed that Hannah figured out what my symbol meant, except for the anchor. She's one smart cookie and she knows her mommy well!

Here are our symbols. Can you guess what they mean?

Hannah's symbol

My symbol


When Greg got home from work, Hannah showed him what we had been up to that day. She got him to try and guess what our "symbols" represented. It was somewhat humorous to hear what he thought they meant. After hearing their true meanings, Greg decided he wanted to make one as well. He felt inspired by our symbols and wanted one of his own.

I'm actually tempted to do a replica of my symbol since this one was done in a matter of minutes with colored pencils. I'd like to create an actual piece of art that I could possibly frame.  Maybe I'll add that to my next "Six Month Goals"!  :)

<3

2 comments:

Karie said...

Thank you for creating this blog. It helps me visualize how it all works & even though my kids are still in public edu it gives me ideas of how to direct my own family & how to teach them . You are amazing!

Celeste said...

I'm so glad that you checked out my new blog! And I'm also glad that you were willing to leave a comment. Lots of people visit but no one leaves comments and I'm wondering if it's because they become offended that my vision or my family it different than theirs. Anyway, thanks for the kind words. I'm still in beginning phase with TJEd so I'm sure I'll have tons more to share as I go along!! I'm grateful you care enough to check this out and read what my family is up to!!! You're the best!!! :)