Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wonderful Books

I have found several series of books that I feel are wonderful tools for both Core and Love of Learning phases.  I thought I'd share them here in case there's someone who's interested.  I will cover these books over the next few posts.

I'll start with some wonderful Core Phase books...

The first I'd like to share, is actually an author. She has many different series available. The author is Jane B Moncure. I personally love her "classic/vintage" books, though I have a few of the more current, reprinted versions as well.

Here is her website http://www.janebelkmoncure.com/fsrsbbhome.htm

These are some of the series I'm personally collecting by Moncure...

My First Steps to Math
These books go over basic counting skills with cute little rhyming words and adorable illustrations. I personally, as I stated before, like the original, first print of these books. The later prints seem to lose a little something that I like about the books. 


My First Steps to Reading

These are basic alphabet books with cute pics & rhymes.
Each book focuses on one letter of the alphabet.


Magic Castle Readers

These cute little books cover six different areas...
Language Arts, Social Science, Science, Creative Arts, Math, and Health-Safety.
Again, cute pics & rhymes.


Then there are the seasons books...
"Spring Is Here", "Summer Is Here", "Fall Is Here" and "Winter Is Here". 
These books are AWESOME because Moncure teamed up with Frances Hook, the illustrator.
Frances Hook is one of my favorite artists!! I absolutely LOVE her work and would pay
a large sum to own one of her original works.

Awesome pics and basic "season" information.
Fun little questions that the kids can answer as they go along.


I'm sure there are other books written by Moncure that I will add to our "Learners" shelf. But as for now, I'm focusing on completing these four series.

I do want to recommend going to thrift stores to find these books because that's where I've found most of my "classic/vintage" books. And you can't beat $1.00 for a wonderful book to add to your family's library.



<3

No comments: